Friday, January 11, 2013

The First Visit



This Sunday morning started like every other Sunday morning - viewing the aptly named CBS show Sunday Morning. Charles Osgood in his infinite charm sweetly sang, "Life is worth living if once in a while you can look in that looking glass and smile." Today was going to be a good day. Charles Osgood just guaranteed it. Today I would start a new adventure. Today I would go to church.

Out of respect for the people who would be sitting near me, I took a shower. You're welcome members and visitors of First Unitarian Church of St. Louis. You're welcome. Dressed in polka dots and cowgirl boots (my version of a security blanket) I headed to church. I looked totally adorable.

I know nothing about Unitarians other than they're cool with the gays. Here's what I know (and by know I mean "here is what I surmise from my one time one hour visit") about Unitarians (more specifically Unitarian Universalists, thank you Emily) after attending their Sunday service:

1. Unitarians (UUs) freaking love gay people. They have a rainbow flag. Gayness came up at least 10 times during the service.  A gay man spoke about working for gay rights and asked people to give money to continue working for gay rights. When he was finished he received a standing ovation. Unitarians freaking love gays.

2. Unitarian (UU) hymns are awful. They have no tune. The words are strange. There isn't much "feeling". The singing of the hymns was incredibly quiet and awkward.

3. Unitarians (UUs) really enjoy name tags. Upon entering I was asked to fill out a name tag.  I am emphatically anti-name tag and generally refuse to wear one, but the lady was standing over me so I filled out my name and smiled. Then I promptly shoved the badge in my purse and carried on. Most people at the service were wearing name tags. I'm such a rebel.

4. Unitarians (UUs) don't talk much about God or The Bible or Jesus in service. A few quotes from The Bible were given during the service, but they were proceeded with a warning, "I'm going to quote The Bible now" and then followed by laughter. They did talk about "the oneness with which we are all connected" and "interconnectivity".

5. Unitarians (UUs) seem pretty nice. There was handshaking and hello-ing and it all felt very warm and genuine.

I like to make general assumptions and grand generalizations. I know it's not fair. You can't sum up a church or a belief in one hour. These were just the things that stuck out to me. These were MY take-aways.

This particular Sunday was "Jazz Sunday". A lightbulb went off in my brain and I thought to myself while tapping my toes to the beat -  Holy crap! I bet there are all kinds of churches with great free live music on Sundays. I love music. I should bring wine next time. I should totally bring a thermos of wine and scope out churches with good live music. This version of church I could dig. Wine and music church.

As the music played I got lost in my thoughts. I realized what I would be doing with my next 51 Sundays. I would be at church. Yes, the inspiration to attend church began in a warehouse. BUT the decision to seek out a new church every week was realized with eyes closed and feet taping to fine jazz beats in the comfort and calm of of the First Unitarian Church of St. Louis.

I can't wait till Sunday. For this Sunday I shall be gathering with the friends...

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Can't wait to read more. Perhaps I can join you on one of these churchings sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing would thrill me more Caleb! I'll be in town Oscar weekend....perhaps then? Then you will come to our party? Please? Jonathan will be there! Think about it...

      Delete