Monday, April 22, 2013

Metropolitan Community Church = God's Church


I've been looking for sometime now
For you
Whoever you are
I've wandered beautiful temples
Chanted and meditated
I've recited scriptures
Sang worship hymns with feeling
I've read bizarre books
Learned about aliens and past lives
I've waited in silence
Prayed and pondered
I've met with radicals and ministers and holy people
Still
I couldn't find you.
Couldn't see you.
Couldn't feel you.
Where are you hiding?
 
Then
Like a comedian
with perfect timing
Just as I am giving up
Ready to throw in the towel
Stop this ridiculousness
Then
I find you
Practically mid curse
I find you
I find you...
In a room packed with homosexuals
Of course.
 

 
Of course. Of course I would "find God" in a room packed with not just homosexuals, but homeless people and disabled people and transgendered people and people of all different races and ethnicities and people of all different sizes and haircuts and clothing choices. Of course this is where I would find God - in a room full of God's people.
 
(Sarah takes a step up onto her soapbox. She taps the microphone. Testing to make sure it's on. What she's about to say is important to her. She wants to be heard.)
 
I get so tired of people trying to limit God. Box him in - God doesn't like gays. God hates Republicans. God prefers blondes. God can only be found in the Christian church. Shut up fools! God loves everyone. E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E. Fucking deal with it. God is limitless. God loves smokers. God loves Muslims. God loves children and old people and rich people and poor people and black people and white people and fat people and skinny people and everywhere in between people. And though it may scare the crap out of you, God loves gay people - just the way they are. 
 
We, not God, like creating restrictions because it makes us, not God, feel good. We like to feel better than each other. We want God to like us best. We are all siblings fighting for God's favor. Love is hard to accept sometimes, because, well for me personally, I don't always feel worthy of it. I often think if I were prettier or thinner or kinder or less weird or made fewer mistakes in my life THEN, then I would be worthy of a person's love. But God is not limited by vanity or clouded by hatred. God has the ability to see something that we can't always see - our true beautiful selves. God created so many different, unique, unusual, wonderful people - why do we doubt God's ability to love them all?
 
Metropolitan Community Church in St. Louis ain't doubting God's ability to love all this children. Hell to the no. MCC is picking up where Jesus left off - welcoming all to God's table.

As I walked through the doors of MCC I found one of the greeters and asked for an information sheet. Christine introduced herself and immediately after learning of my first time visitor status whisked me around the church showing me the building and helping me meet new people. The building was alive with conversation and hugs and laughter and children running about. I was given information about the church and told how to get more. Christine offered to find me a friend to sit with, but I told her I would do alright on my own. I found my seat and took in my surroundings.

My first honest reaction was - Holy crap! There's a whole lotta gay in this place.  You can't always tell a book by it's cover, but when that book looks like woman with short poofy hair wearing straight legged acid washed jeans and a black blazer and is holding hands with a similarly dressed women then that book is probably gay. And it looked as though I landed smack dab in the middle of the GLBTQIA section of the bookstore. As I surveyed the room, I saw there was actually a wide variety of people - but still a strong gay presence.

Service started with contemporary worship songs. Everybody stood up. It was a slow start. A few people were clapping and even fewer people were singing. Then  music leader called out, "Come on everybody. Let's worship the Lord together!" Cheesy, but it worked. The singing and the clapping grew louder and louder until...everybody was worshiping the Lord together.

After songs and a brief prayer we stopped to say hello to our neighbors. A man in white jeans and a leather vest threw his arms around me and said "Good morning!" Other neighbors were a little less affectionate and offered handshakes and hellos.

Christine, the nice lady who greeted me, called all the children up for the children's sermon. Slowly, 15 darling little children approached the stairs with the littlest ones being guided by their parents. Oh, my dear blog readers, at the sight of this gathering of tiny people I burst into tears. (I am actually crying right now.) I'm not sure if I can fully explain my tears. I was moved by the love in the room. It's one thing to believe in something yourself, but it's another to involve your children. These children will be raised to believe God loves everyone and therefore loves them - gay, straight, transgender, homeless, disabled, black, white, whathaveyou. They will have grown up knowing these various types of people as their friends and church family. Seeing them all up there listening to Christine tell them a story about God's love overwhelmed me with love and hope for the future.
I just sat in my seat and cried.

This would not be the end of my crying...

MCC currently does not have a regular minister. They are in the process of finding one. In the meantime a woman named Amy has been providing sermons at the church. Usually the church has a person translating all the spoken words into sign language, but today that person was absent. Amy got up on stage and using sign language said  "My apologies. I am not very good at sign language. Thank you for your understanding." Yup. Started crying again. The thoughtfulness of these people moved me.

Amy's sermon was about.....spiritual journeys. (How fitting, eh?) She spoke not about trying to figure out where you've been and rehashing the past or even focusing on the future and where you want to go. Nope. Her sermon was about recognizing where you are in this very moment and accepting that God can meet you exactly where you are. You don't have to change for God to come to you. You don't have to make it to the end of the marathon before God will embrace you. God is with you the whole way, loving you, just as you are, and encouraging you to become the best you can be.

Tears started streaming down my face. I already knew this about God. That's not why I'm crying. I'm crying because so many people don't know this about God and have been taught just the opposite. They've been taught that God hates who they are and only if they change and repent can they be loved. Even churches with good intentions preach this message and it breaks my heart. They preach judgement. Judgement is not a life changing force, but love most certainly is.

I noticed on stage there were trays and gold cups. Oh no. Communion. Dammit. I was really enjoying this church. Please don't ruin it by saying something awful like "Sinners stay in your seats while we enjoy God's glory". Please. Please.

After the sermon a man in a delicious vintage mustard yellow "old man" cowl neck cardigan and 4 young children got on stage and stood behind the table where the Communion snacks were waiting. He explained the children were going to be assisting with Communion this Sunday, because all are priests of the Lord. There is no age requirement at the Lord's table. (Tears. Tears are streaming once again.) The man talked with the children about The Last Supper and why we uphold the tradition. He looked out to the congregation, smiled and said, "Wherever you are on your journey - you are welcome at this table. All are welcome at God's table. We want you here with us. We want to share this with you. Please, whatever you believe, join us." (Tissues and tears. Tissues and tears.)

The children helped guide the congregation row by row to come to the front and dip their cracker in the juice. Then cardigan man explained multiple areas where people were happily waiting to pray or talk with anyone who needed it. Communion at MCC was different than any I've ever experienced. This was not the organized silent process of my upbringing. Oh no, communion at MCC was messy and chaotic and loud and beautiful. People were talking and hugging eachother and SO many people were stopping to pray or offer a kind word. People were actually waiting in line to pray. Giant prayer circles started forming, taking up asile space. Everyone was up, roaming around, talking to their neighbor, getting their tiny rice circle dipped in juice and then enjoying hugs and kisses from their neighbors. After I got my cracker and juice I sat in my chair, watched the crowd and cried. There was so much love and life. It was so real and it took my breath away.

Once everyone settled down again, another man came on stage to make the offertory prayer. This big tall self-proclaimed "Illinois Farm Boy" with a hick accent and all got up and talked about how joining the church changed his life. He talked about how transformative the love he experienced there was for him. He marveled at all the children he saw there and how happy that made him. He basically summed up my thoughts and then he started crying. So, naturally I started bawling. He asked people to give what they could, knowing how much this place means to so many, but if they couldn't give money to contibute in some other way. I gave $5. It's the highest donation I give any church I visit.

At this point, I'm starting to do that cry thing where you make noise and can't breathe and I'm starting to panic because I don't want to make a scene but this church is just so beautiful and so full of love and I'm just so very very happy that I got to experience it that I cannot contain my tears.

Thank God, service is wrapping up. (Several balled up tissues are now sitting beside me and I look like the first time I saw Titanic.)

We sang a few more songs, prayed and were done, but no one was leaving. They were serving food and I was invited to stay around and meet more people, but I couldn't. I wanted to, but I knew what was about to happen. I walked as quickly as possible to my car - briefly saying goodbye to a few people before I left. I opened my car door, closed it, started the engine, drove off and cried and cried and cried.

It was a happy cry. I felt so full of love and joy and it came out through my tears. I thought about all the loves in my life and then I cried more. I thought about my beauitful friends Rachel and Russell who are getting ready to have their first child and I cried thinking about how much I already love that tiny human being and how he or she will grow up to know great great love.

If Jesus came back and started a church it would probably serve really great wine and it would probably look a lot like MCC. These people don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. They greeted me. They welcomed me. They weren't afraid to show love to eachother, or to me, to a stranger. They are not afraid of differences, in fact, they embrace them and celebrate them. They preach love - not judgement and hate. These people are the closest I've ever seen to living out the message of Jesus Christ. This is their mission statement:

Our mission, as Metropolitan Community Church of Greater Saint Louis, is to accept, embody and declare God’s love for all.

Mission accomplished MCC. Well done. Keep the love coming!











8 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you. :) This is how my church feels, though a tish more formal (our gay people wear ties). It makes me so happy to be so loved and welcomed, and to be able to share it. I am glad you found this. You needed it. God has a way of giving us what we need, doesn't he?

    (Boy, next week's is probably going to suck in comparison, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a wonderful experience and yes, very much needed. God led me exactly where I needed to go and I am very grateful.

      As for next week...this will be hard to top, but that's okay. I try not to compare church visits and just enjoy each one for what it is...another leg of the journey.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your story and your encounter with a fully loving, progressive church. Until. Five dollars? That is all you value God? No wonder the progressive church is dying. Even IF we can get through the shrill din of the voices of condemnation and exclusion, then our loving God gets less than minimum wage. I am deeply saddened by the message you are sending to others. Fortunately, I am sending the MCC church in St. Louis ten times your "value" today - in your name...with your column included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Donna. Thank you! Thank you for your response, because it has illustrated God’s all knowing all loving awesomeness. See, you don’t know what’s in my bank account. But God does. You don’t know that people have actually been giving ME money recently, to help out with expenses. But God does. You question how I value God, but God knows my heart. God knows the time and effort I spent on writing that post. God knows the love and thought I put into sharing the beautiful message of God’s love I received at MCC. And God used my post, not my bank account, to help further MCC’s mission – through you Donna. I’m so glad I included my small donation in the post, because it inspired you to make a bigger donation to a church that could really use the money. God works in mysterious ways, Donna. Thank you for your thoughts and thank you for your very generous donation.

      Delete
    2. I apologize for making the assumption that you might have had more to give, I'll pray that your circumstances improve for sure. But it wasn't stated in your essay that this was all you could give, that you wish you could have given more, only that this is your "highest" gift you offer to any church, leaving me with an impression that drew an easy, but incorrect, conclusion. As a member of a very progressive, fully inclusive loving faith community, I am glad you encountered the same at MCC-St. Louis.

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog today and I've sat and read it all in one sitting. You are doing something that I love to do on a way BIGGER scale. I love seeing what different churches are all about.I'm a St.Louis girl too and I used to work next door to the Scientology Building but never had the guts to go in. I can't wait to read for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ambersue! Glad you are enjoying the blog. It's certainly been an interesting experience. St. Louis has such an AMAZING selection of churches. Gotta love this city! Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  4. Oh Sarah, if you have time, I'd like you to come and join us at King of Peace MCC in St Petersburg Florida. For info, visit our site at http://www.churchstpetersburg.org.. And, by the way, I loved reading your blog. You are precisely correct that you can't judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete