Monday, February 18, 2013

Swedenborgianismisticexpialidocious


 No rich man's worth his weight in dust. Bury him down same as they'll do us. God wants us busy, never giving up. He wants nothing but the whole wide world for us.

- Jakob Dylan
 "Nothing but the Whole Wide World"
 
 
Someday I will make a list of all the things I love. High up on that list would be driving in the sunshine with the windows down, my hair wild and free, listening to an amazing song, and singing as loudly as possible.
 
Sarah Drives to Church in the Sunshine Playlist:
1. Kishi Bashi - Manchester
2. Xavier Rudd - Follow the Sun
3. Jakob Dylan - Nothing but the Whole Wide World
4. Blitzen Trapper - Furr
5. Alt-J - Tessellate
 
 
Mmm. Best morning drive ever. Hmm, it's 10:59. What?! Oh my god! It's 10:59!!! I'm late! Where is this place?! Oh my god! I'm lost. I'm late and I'm lost! Ahhhhh!!!!
 
After a slight turn around, I find The Church of the Open Word (Garden Chapel) - a Swedenborgianism church in Creve Coeur. I'm about 7 minutes late (I hate being late). I jump out of the car and run up the stairs to the front door. I can hear the singing. They've already started. Crap. I figure I can just sneak in the back. No one will notice. I'll be really really quiet. I push open the door and enter the building looking tired but moderately adorable in my new seafoam cotton dress with tiny white flowers, a black cardigan, black leggings and black patent leather buckle shoes (my church shoes). Three steps later I am inside the main chapel and realize the joyous singing is coming from all of five people. There is no hiding my lateness. Plan B: Activate charming smile and sit down as quickly as possible.
 
Have you heard of Swedenborgianism? I hadn't.
 
Do you know how to pronounce it? I didn't. (Call me and I'll tell you. I don't understand phonics.)
 
Let's learn together! (Yeah, Yeah, Yeah)
       
Swedenborgianism was founded by Emmanuel Swedenborg, a Swedish scientist and theologian. Swedenborg had heavenly visions for some years- including conversations with angels, dead persons, and "demons" - then he had some revelations. Those revelations became Swedenborgianism in the late 1700's.
 
A Breakdown Of What I've Learned About The Beliefs Of Swedenborgians That I Think Are Mostly Accurate, But May Or May Not Be, Because Often Internet Sites/Books/People Are Full Of Lies:
 
1. They follow 2 main Commandments - Love God with all your heart and soul and love thy neighbor as thy self.  "Love is our very life" (a quote from a pamphlet on their beliefs)
2. They do not believe in The Trinity. (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) Jesus is God.
3. They think other religions are okay.
4. You should always be growing.
5. Question things. It's good.
6.  Hell is an internal state of evil. Heaven is an internal state of good.
7. They don't believe in a literal devil.
8. As a church they do not take a specific stand on social/political issues like abortion and homosexuality. Members are free to make up their own minds about such things.
9. What's true is true. What's false is false. (said by Swedenborg himself)
 
I should also include there are several websites that claim Swedenborgianism is a cult. I'll admit, the whole "I see dead people" thing is a little weird to me and hard to believe. But other than that, what I've researched about Swedenborgianism just kinda makes sense and actually seems less cult like than many traditional Christian churches.
 
Enough learning. Let's talk worship service...
 
So, super smiley Sarah gathered up all the necessary printed materials needed for today's service (bulletin, song sheets, etc) and sat down in the 2nd row of the tiny little chapel. A man named Paul was playing guitar and leading the group in song. A few more people trickled in and I didn't feel so bad about being late.
 
Oh how I love to sing! I will tell you, that tiny group of people sang with more volume and joy than any of the other churches I've attended who've had five times the voices. We sang lots of songs, so I just sang my little heart out. I miss being in a choir. I really do.
 
We prayed. We had a moment of silence. There was a ceremonial opening of The Word. Things were read. Joys and concerns were shared. Offerings were given. They did a lot of reading things in unison. You know, the usual church fare.
 
I greatly enjoyed this service. First off, the setting is beautiful and full of light. You can see the trees through the windows and the sun illuminates the whole room. The architecture of the building is actually based on Swedenborg's writings about the connection between spirituality and nature. The room is created of natural materials - stone and wood. The grounds surrounding the building are full of quiet places to reflect - including a meditation trail.
 
But mostly I enjoyed the service because it was positive. There was no "end of times" talk. There wasn't a listing of sins. There wasn't any bashing of other religions. There wasn't any guilt or condemnation. No one droned on for hours about so many unconnected things that I got lost and started playing M.A.S.H. (You know, the game where you marry Larry King and have 10 kids and drive a clown car and live in Death Valley? Tell me you know about this or I will feel very alone.) They talked about how God loves us and we should love each other. They talked about tools God supplies us with to navigate this world. They talked about sacrifice and forgiveness and love and love and more love. I found myself sending up a little gratitude to God -

(deep sigh). This week has been rather magical - music and friends and love and conversations round the fire and brownies and sunshine and snuggles. I've felt so much love this week. It's been overwhelming. I've literally felt full of love to the point where I thought I might explode kinda like Violet full of juice in Willy Wonka. It's been wonderful and so very needed. Thank you. Thank you for sending me here today. I don't think I could have handled another "believe what we believe or enjoy the sweaty blistering infernos of hell for all time" church. So, thank you for this moment and all the magical moments of this Valentine's week. Thank you for your love.
 
Then I did something I haven't done in a very very very long time....
 
I, Sarah Thomas, participated in Communion.
 
Now let me explain...
 
There are 3 main reasons I participated in this particular Communion (I'm really enjoying lists today. Deal with it.)
 
1. There were only 15 people in the whole room and Paul came around and offered it to each individual. It would have been inappropriate and a hassle to decline.
 
2. In my haste to get inside I left my water bottle in the car. My water bottle is another one of my security blankets. It's kind a like "My Buddy" - where ever I go it goes. It's sitting next to me right now full of delicious water. So, mid service I developed the very terrifying throat tickle and started to panic. I was in bad need of a drink and I was presented with a small cup of wine. Ask and ye shall receive, right?
 
3. The way Communion was presented was my main deciding factor. There was no - "All believers of Jesus may now take refreshment while sinners must remain parched in their evil ways." It was - "This is the Lord's table. All are welcome. Eat, Drink, remember him and try to live according to his teachings." He didn't say anything I didn't agree with. So I ate and I drank and I felt good about it.
 

After service they served refreshments. A sweet little table with apple slices and cheese and cake and other little nibbles was set up and people hung to chat. I grabbed myself a large cup of juice to ease my remaining throat tickle and explored the space. Several people came up to me and introduced themselves. I was asked if I had been married in the chapel. One of the ways this small church survives is off hosting wedding ceremonies. When I googled, "cutest church in st. louis" there was a listing of several wedding blogs with this church's name on it several times.
 
 
So, there I stood, unmarried, and drinking my juice. I browsed their extensive literature section and armed myself with some knowledge about Swedenborgianism beliefs. A woman named Emily approached and inquired about me and my life. I've been really hesitant to tell anyone at the churches I've visited about what I am doing. I told one lady at the Quaker meeting who privately e-mailed me and I told Emily. She and I chatted for a while and she told me some about the Swedenborgian belief structure and why it spoke to her and I shared some of my church experiences with her. She was incredibly kind and open minded. I enjoyed our chat greatly and decided I would stay after at more churches from now on.
Before I left, I look a tour of the grounds. I found the meditation trails. I was warned they were in a sad state. They were. I had to crawl through tangles of sticks to get to the sign that marked the meditation trail. That made me sad. In my brain I was thinking it would be nice to get a group together and clean up these trails. It wouldn't be hard. We wouldn't need much. I know I can't go around doing service projects at every church I visit...wait...yes, yes I can. I can do whatever I want. I'll see what I can figure out.
 
I spent a final few minutes sitting in the gazebo, reflecting in the sunshine. I thought about the concept of there being various paths to God. That makes sense to me, especially when I think about food. There are many ways to feel full. This world is full of endless flavors and tastes and ingredients. Whose to say what is right? Whose to say there is only ONE way to get full? True, some foods are healthier than others. Some, when eaten in excess will kill you. Some, even though they are healthy and many people enjoy them are absolutely digusting to me - like beets, blah, just cannot get on board with that one, but who am I to say it's not pallatable to you. Yes, I do believe it is getting close to lunch time. I am thinking in food.
 
 
 
To finish off this lovely morning I drove home with the windows down, the sun shining and my hair flying and sang this brilliant song "Manchester" by Kishi Bashi (click the video) over and over at the top of my lungs feeling full of light and love. It. Was. Magical.
 
Oh hello, will you be mine? I haven't felt this alive in a long time. All the streets are warm and grey. I read the signs. I haven't been this in love in a long time. The sun is up the sun will stay. All for the new day.
 


 
For more information about The Church of the Open Word please visit www.openwordchurch.com
They have Native American flute playing and poetry 1st Saturday of every month. Wanna go? I do!
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful building! No wonder couples want to use it for weddings. It's lovely. Enjoyed your blog entry even more than usual. You are providing all of your followers with a vicarious journey through a kaleidoscope of spiritual experiences.

    ReplyDelete